Category Archives: Community

Learning from my Four Fathers

Four Fathers I get a haunting pit in my stomach now when Father’s Day approaches. Don’t get me wrong, I love the holiday, but working at a mortuary puts a twist on how you see special days like these. Every … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Inspiration | Tagged , , , | 44 Comments

“Why Do We Exist?”: Discovering Our Core Purpose

I am a firm believer that we have a divine purpose, and we are not just here by accident. I never thought I would become Funeral Director, even though it has been a part of our family for generations. Actually … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Inspiration, Planning Ahead | Tagged , , | 54 Comments

You Know You’re in SoCal for Christmas If . . .

If you’ve lived in California long enough, you’ll be nodding & laughing as you read down the list of only in Southern California Christmas Traditions:   – If you go see the lights in Naples – it’s worth the drive … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Perspective | Tagged , , | 31 Comments

We Lit Nine Candles: The Remembrance Service

On Tuesday night we held our 12th Annual Candlelight Remembrance Service at the Laguna Hills Community Center. These evenings are unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. The evening started cheerfully enough as families filtered in and re-connected with different staff … Continue reading

Posted in Ceremonies, Community, Inspiration, News | Tagged , , , | 37 Comments

The Latte that Changed My Thanksgiving

I was with my daughter a couple of weeks ago, driving my 3 Grandchildren to school. On the way I asked if we could stop at Starbucks and get a Latte. We had a few extra minutes, so she … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Inspiration | Tagged , , | 32 Comments

“Their house is gone”: Lessons in Facing Tragedy

I’ll never forget hearing that phrase, “Their house is gone.” I had been watching news coverage of the Silver Fire in Banning, CA all day long, vigilant because of dear friends living in that area.  With my calls going straight … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Inspiration, Perspective | Tagged , | 24 Comments

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day: Remembering Matthew

I remember it like it was yesterday even though it was 18 years ago, and I know deep down I will never forget that day the rest of my life. The two extremes that happened that day are still at … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Inspiration, News, Perspective | 34 Comments

An Ode to Tommy: An O’Connor Employee Hall of Famer

Well, it’s finally happening – Tommy is leaving us. Tommy is a Service Director here at O’Connor and he will soon be retiring and moving back to his well-loved, native land of New Jersey. In the 8 years that Tommy … Continue reading

Posted in Community, News | Tagged , , | 18 Comments

“So, Who Was the Funeral For?” | Creating Sacred Moments

I recently attended a service where the officiant said, “funerals aren’t for the person who died, they are for the living.” I initially disliked this idea, feeling that it sounded vastly self-serving at a time that was set-aside for … Continue reading

Posted in Ceremonies, Community, News, Planning Ahead | Tagged , , , , , | 29 Comments

Diversity in Death: Lessons Learned from A Giant, 2 Families, and a Hare Krishna

Diversity is a constant in life. It teaches us how to be flexible under stress, to appreciate ourselves and each other. Diversity tells us that it’s OK to be curious and ask questions, to live and let live. Diversity isn’t … Continue reading

Posted in Ceremonies, Community | Tagged , , , , , | 14 Comments