Is Fall your favorite time of year? I’m guessing if you chose to read this blog then yes, you treasure and savor the change in light and the color of the trees & look as giddily forward to October 1st as I do.
For the last 8 years fall brought me charming semesters with my fellow English majors. Fall meant long evenings sipping lattes on the third floor of the library pouring over books on Shakespeare, Milton & Marlowe. Fall meant paradise for me. If you know an English major you won’t be surprised to learn that they are some of the most sentimental people you will ever meet. There is something in our natures & love for books that inevitably brings about a hopeless sense of romance when we think about fall semesters & rainy campuses.
This is my first fall without school. I finished my master’s degree last autumn, it was crazy, wonderful, the most stressful thing I’ve ever done and I miss it desperately. I feel as though a piece of myself is missing, that a beautiful part of my life is over.
I made myself cry just writing that – a true sign of sentimentality & english major funk? I think so.
Even though school has not ushered me into fall the way it has for almost the last decade, I have still felt the simple joys of buying my first (6) pumpkins, sipping my first spiced latte & seeing the charming decorations at Disneyland at twilight.
I’m realizing there are lots of things I dearly love about Fall & that I don’t need a library, tons of homework, or puddly-campus to savor it.
Here are just a few of my favorite fall treats:
Fall is my favorite season for many reasons so here is a list of all my favorite little Fall things!
– Pumpkin Spice Lattes – I squealed in delight with my first sip.
– Come to think of it, there is pumpkin-flavored everything this time of year. that’s great.
– Disneyland’s Halloween transformation. The streets are stacked with pumpkins & the glowing windows are filled with spooky displays. The Haunted Mansion gets a makeover and you can smell the gingerbread house in the grand ballroom that is specially redesigned every year for the ride. Big Thunder Ranch is perfect with the pumpkin-carvers and the festive little cottage. It’s Disney at it’s best.
– Trader Joe’s pumpkins! They’re cheap & beautiful – a perfect combo.
– The time of year when you watch “You’ve Got Mail” – one of my absolute FAVORITE movies. If you don’t know what “bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils” are then get on Netflix NOW. You have missed out for far too long.
– This painting.
– I light candles in the newly darker evenings & that always makes me feel cozy & at home
– I also like to re-read some of the Harry Potter books this time of year, Harry & Halloween just go together & those books never get old.
– Most of all, I love fall because it means the craziness of summer is over, the frantic traveling between here & there is over and I can finally just be home. it’s simple but it is one of my chief joys.
To quote John Milton (author of Paradise Lost & a serious genius)
“The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven” (Book 1, l. 253-55)
Maybe my heaven of school would have been your personal hell, or perhaps fall is your least favorite season because glorious summer is over. The point is that change comes to everything, endings come and traditions disappear. But our minds can see good even in semester-less falls, new heavens can be lurking where we never could have imagined them before.
Is this fall different for you in some way?
What are some of your favorite fall treats?